Gmail: First Steps
Update your email client!
If you don't want to use the native gmail client (http://gmail.ncsu.edu), then you must update your email client's settings. Don't expect your old settings to work.
This morning when I came into the office and tried to access my (Cyrus) e-mail (through Thunderbird), I got a message "Thunderbird failed to connect to server firstname.lastname@example.org". Same thing on my iPhone. Mesage = "Cannot Get Email The mail server "email@example.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings." Does this have anything to do with the transition to Gmail? If so, what do I need to do?
We list instructions for updating your clients here.
Do you have the Chrome browser installed on your computer? While not a requirement, this is the browser most supported by Google. New Google App features will work on this browser before they're supported on others.
- Desktop Notifications w/ Chrome: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=1075549
Labs in Gmail
Not all of the functionality in Gmail is turned on by default -- much of the new or advanced features are contained in what Google calls "Labs". Here's our list of labs we think you'll want to turn on immediately. To do so, login to your gmail account (http://gmail.ncsu.edu), click Settings in the top right, then select the Labs tab.
- Nested Labels
- Manage your email by sorting it into a hierarchy of labels. Add slashes (/) to label names to express inheritance. For example, if you want a Home label with two child labels named Kids and Shopping, create the three following labels: Home, Home/Kids and Home/Shopping.
- Title Tweaks
- Changes order of elements in the browser title bar from "North Carolina State University Mail - Inbox (20) - unityID@ncsu.edu" to "Inbox (20) - unityID@ncsu.edu - North Carolina State University Mail". This way you are able (most of the time) to see if a new mail has arrived even if North Carolina State University Mail window is minimized or is running in a tabbed web browser.
- Signature Tweaks
- Places your signature before the quoted text in a reply, and removes the "--" line that appears before signatures.
Change your Send As Address
Initially, your emails sent from the Gmail web interface will be sent as unityID@ncsu.edu. In order to use your @ncsu.edu mail alias from this interface you first have to authorize being able to send from that address. To do this, go to Settings, then the Accounts tab.
In the "Send mail as:" section, click on "Add another email address you own". Enter your Name and Alias (Name will be pre-populated) and click on the Next Step button, then on the Send Verification button. An email will be sent to the address you entered for verification. Follow the instructions in that email and you will then have that address as an option when sending through the web interface.
Now that you are authorized to use that address, go back to the Accounts settings and click on the "make default" link next to your alias address to make it the default from address.
Update your NCSU MajorDomo List Server Address
If you are subscribed to any mailing lists on NCSU's MajorDomo server and wish to use your firstname.lastname@example.org:
- go to: http://lists.ncsu.edu/ click on "Subscriber Interface" and sign in.
- click on "Unsubscribe or Change Settings"
- first, get all of your subscriptions going to your email@example.com address
- then, near the bottom of the page, insert your firstname.lastname@example.org alias as your New Address under "Changing Your Address".